Friday 5 August 2011

Vogue 8305/D

Another day another outfit for my sewing marathon while on vacation. Today I have finished Vogue 8305






I have had this pattern in my stash for some time now, and actually liked this in the grey knit which is why I bought the pattern in the first place.  I will now make it again in the grey as I have some especially for this pattern in my stash.  

One of the things I like about this is the number of different looks you get by wearing with a belt, over the shoulder, tied etc.


I dug out some very old pins that I have had for about 20 years and used two of them to simulate the same look as the pattern.

Here is my review details for this jacket.

Pattern Description:
Pattern Description: From Vogue: "Loose-fitting, unlined jacket has shaped front hems and long sleeves which may be worn open, or lower edges of front can be tied at waist or draped over shoulder
Pattern Sizing:
A(6-8-10), D(12-14-16), FW(18-20-22) - I used D (12-14-16)

Fabric I Used:
Cotton jersey

Total cost: £1 per yard local market in Essex - £4.00

Time to Make:
Oh this is so quick - however took a while to fit the pattern on the fabric.  but I would say approx 2 hours including cutting out.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
I am only 5'4" and I think they made this for a tall model in high shoes.  When I first tried it on the point of the fall in the front almost fell to the floor so I had to do some nifty cutting to reduce the length, despite altering the paper pattern to reduce the length before cutting the fabric - I think despite the fact that the fabric is not particularly heavy - when you have a large amount of it hanging down it drags the front closer to the floor.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Yes

Were the instructions easy to follow?
Yes vogue, on the whole are quite good with their instructions, and this wasn't an exception - there are only three pieces, back, front (made of two pieces you glue together) and the sleeve.

Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made:
As mentioned above - reduced the fall length for the front and shortened the length (side seams) a little.


Tools, notions etc.

Thread: basic serger thread (I used white)
Machines: Bernina 440 sewing machine, Babylock Evolution serger.

Things I did differently from the pattern instructions:

The pattern suggests using a conventional narrow hem for the jacket, but I made mine with a nice rolled hem, which felt like I was sewing for ages and ages from point to point.

Conclusion:
Great jacket - my fabric is particularly soft and feels lovely against my skin.  I would like to make a nice close-fit polo/turtle neck in the same fabric however I don't have enough of the blue so I may try and get some more if there is any left - think the block colours look good.  I will check, but I may be able to make a little cami-top out of the left-over fabric.

I love the grey colour scheme in the pattern so will add this to my to-do list and my 6PAC.


No comments:

Post a Comment