Saturday 22 December 2012

Rush to finish for Xmas & new baby in the family

Last week was one of those weeks which finished with me feeling very sick and having to go to bed at 8:30.  Today has been a slow one - get up and do some jobs, lay down again.............what a dreadful time to feel ill.

One of the first things I have to announce is the birth of a new grandson - Oscar Wilfred born on 20th December 2012 at 01:28am weighing in at 6lbs 15oz.  Sadly I haven't seen him yet because I didn't want to pass on whatever sickness I have, but I have it on good authority that he is just beautiful.

I did manage to get the last of the christmas stockings embroidered  (11 in total) and the sides re-sewn again (I used some cheap shop bought ones) and each stuffed with their goodies.  I also got my little tree up and some lights hung from the beams in the lounge.


One of the jobs I have on my list was to make my D Mike a pair of underpants.  Don't be missled by the Calvin Klein elastic waistband it was recycled from the pair I used to make a template for the pattern.

I managed to unpick the waistband, but gave up on unpicking the rest of the garment because there was so much top-stitching it would have taken me ages to unpick them so I just traced around each of the pattern pieces.

My cover stitch doesn't entirely replicate the top-stitching used in the original pair, so I stitched the sem on my sewing machine and then used my cover-stitch over the top.

So as they say, the proof of the cooking is in the eating, or in this case did they fit???

Well I need to make one small adjustment and that is to give a little more room in the leg circumference, and the elastic I reused had stretched through wear, so ideally this could be a little smaller (I do have some new elastic to use).  I am pleased the way these turned out, and I will be adding his underpants to my portfolio of garments that I am making.

I have one more christmas present to make, and I just hope I can start feeling better so I can get on with it.  

We have been invited to Mike's sisters tomorrow so we will lose most of the day in terms of productivity - and it will be in the hands of the gods if I manage to get may last Christmas presents made.

I hope you are all far more organised than I.  Catch you later......................



7 comments:

  1. What a rotten time to come down ill! At least you are back up on your feet in time for the 'Big Day!'
    Love the stockings, and the undies...always something new to sew with you.
    If I don't catch you before, thanks for a very entertaining year of sewing. Loved following along and sharing what you whip up.
    Merry Christmas from Down Under...J

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on the new grandson. Sorry your ill, but hope you get well quickly. Your sewing, as always, is well done and you're quite an inspiration! I just found your blog this year and it's a joy to read - I always learn something. I wish you and yours a very Merry Christmas and a Happy and Healthy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Many many congrats on the new grandchild! May he and your family always know the Magic of Life!!! What a beautiful Christmas gift!!
    May your Christmas be bright and A Healthy Happy New Year

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to hear that you have been ill. It is going around here in our neck of the woods also but hasn't hit us. Yet!!
    Congrats on the birth of your grandson. And I hope you get all your Christmas shopping completed.
    Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on the new grandson! Hope you are feeling better and can wrap things up (pun intended) in time. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on the grandson... Hope u feel better soon. Merry Christmas x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mery Christmas Pauline, I hope you have a lovely day with your family and all the best for the New Year too!

    ReplyDelete